Has the Volunteer in you been awakened?
Jeremiah 9:23 says "This is what the LORD says: 'Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches...'”
I like this verse because it exemplifies our staff, volunteers, and donors. It takes a lot of people in many different roles to make an organization like OIM run and be effective. Everyone has a gift from God, we just need to be able to recognize and appreciate our gifts so that we can share our good fortune!
- We had an 8-year-old girl this past spring who set out to raise a couple of dollars for OIM, but ended up raising several hundred dollars in goods and food. Her donations made a profound impact on the quality of life for our Street Friends!
- We have student placements who, come to fulfill their education requirements. But then end up volunteering one or two nights a week, out on the streets with our volunteers helping our Street Friends!
- We have retired professionals who have finished their careers but feel the need to give back and make a difference to a community that provided them a comfortable life!
- We have volunteers that have spent time on the streets, that have found their way off the street and now have families and careers. Yet they willingly return to offer a different perspective on how to come along side our Street Friends.
- We have people of means that silently donate much needed special items or even funds yet do not want to be recognized for their generosity.
What do all have in common? They have the desire to give back to their fellow human beings. The desire to share their personal gifts without a need to be praised in their communities; their only need is for the Lord to know their hearts.
Urban Intervention Training is our signature training for our outreach teams. The next session starts on Monday, September 13th; to share your gifts sign up to be a volunteer!
~Brian, Volunteer Coordinator